Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Poem #8

My pattern is to read one substantial biography a year. When I taught school, I usually read it over the summer. A few years back I read Savage Beauty by Nancy Milford, her biography of Edna St. Vincent Millay. I loved it and have loved Millay's poetry ever since.

Travel
by Edna St. Vincent Millay

The railroad track is miles away,
And the day is loud with voices speaking,
Yet there isn't a train goes by all day
But I hear its whistle shrieking.

All night there isn't a train goes by,
Though the night is still for sleep and dreaming
But I see its cinders red on the sky,
And I hear its engine steaming.

My heart is warm with the friends I make,
And better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take
No matter where it's going.

No comments: