Friday, June 6, 2008

ooooooooo

Feedings have changed in our household. Our pediatrician told us this week that we should be feeding our babies solid food three times a day, that their calories will primarily come from solid food by twelve months of age. Up until now I have just been feeding them once a day, so this will be a great increase.

The foods the babies have tried thus far are carrots, sweet peas, butternut squash, oatmeal, rice, barley, yogurt, avocado. I have also added cinnamon and nutmeg to some of their cereals; they liked the cinnamon but I think I used too much nutmeg as they didn't seem to like it. Their favorite foods seem to be the carrots and the yogurt.

Also since our doctor's visit we are giving the babies crackers and Cheerios. The babies are pretty good at picking the Cheerios up. They bring them to their mouths, usually dropping them just short and onto their bibs. I eat or sweep up countless Cheerios each day now. The photo below is of Mazie. I thought she'd eaten all the Cheerios I gave her, but then I took her highchair tray off to find all her Cheerios stuck to her bib.


For about a month now we have been giving the babies their bottles in their highchairs. This frees up a lot of time for me to do dishes, start supper, or get their solid feeding ready while they eat.

Another positive change in the eating arena is that Mazie seems to have developed the enzymes needed to break down dairy and soy. I am still taking it pretty slow, but what I have eaten has not affected her. This change started with a few mishaps--like feeding Mazie the wrong bottle--and has developed into me being able to sample foods like chocolate and yogurt. I have been on a restricted diet for most of the past 12 months. It was the beginning of July that I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Since that time I have had to be off sugar, dairy, and/or soy most of the time. I am excited at the prospect of not having to read labels or bring my own food to friends' houses. I am also happy that Mazie's digestive system is maturing.

We will continue to eat more and try a variety of new foods. I think next the babies will try applesauce and green beans. I think next I will try some cheeses--maybe Brie and Parmesan.

No comments: