Sunday, July 5, 2009

Summer Lovin'

We were fortunate enough to be able to go to the beach for two weeks, the last week of June and first week of July. H did have to come home Monday through Thursday of that second week to work, but the babes and I stayed for the entire two weeks. We had a wonderful time. The weather was great and the water perfect (refreshing and no jellyfish).

H's parents have a cabin across the street from a bayou. We set up camp there and spent a lot of time there playing in the water and sand. I even felt comfortable enough to take them down to the bayou by myself. We gave them parameters to stay in and they were content to play right there in front of us while we sat in a beach chair or held a child in the water.

The first week of our beach trip was spent with our Atlanta friends. This year was the sixth year that we have gotten together to dine and play and reacquaint. H and I built close relationships with these women when we in Atlanta and it has been such a special thing for us that we have all remained committed to getting together once a year. As of this summer none of us are left living in Atlanta. I am so thankful for the time we all had together when we lived in Atlanta and I look forward to this week together all year.

Our second week was spent with H's parents, Nana and Papa, and Papa Glenn's sister and her family. This is the second year we have done this. They are lots of fun and easy to be around. Glenn's niece and her husband have a son who was born within a month of our three. He is great to spend time with.


Last year we went to the beach for a week when the babies were nine months old. This was one of the hardest times I've had since bringing them into the world. It was the first time I was really forced to see, and then accept, that my life really had changed in a drastic way. No more reading and drinking and talking on the beach for as long as I like. No more staying up late to participate in riveting discussions: the babies don't sleep in so neither can I. Even spending hours preparing meals (something I love to do) was something I couldn't do anymore. This year, however, was much easier in so many ways. We only nap once now instead of twice a day. This summer I wasn't attached to a breast pump several times a day. And, one of the most important things, the babes now can play and discover and take in their world more independently than they could last year. Also, I think I have a better acceptance of what my life is like for right now. While there is so much of it to love, there are also things about it that can be difficult. More so than last year, I have a grasp on how fast time moves and that I will be longing for these days in the blink of an eye. I try to remember that everything about our lives is a phase and that everything--the joyous and the challenging--will shift very quickly. "Be here now" and "Be thankful" are two mantras I repeat to myself, as I don't want to miss out on any of the fun and joy these precious beings bring into our lives.

We hope you are getting some sunshine and refreshment this summer. And, we hope you enjoy the pictures we will be posting soon.

No comments: