Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Scalloped Tomatoes

For my Project40 undertaking, I am attempting a dozen recipes from Scott Peacock's The Gift of Southern Cooking. Here is one that I tried that I love. I adapted it in several ways. I have added roasted red peppers, though I've also made it without the red peppers. It is great either way. Also, I use sourdough instead of white loaf bread, and I skip the sugar. The other major change I make is that I don't use any butter. I toast the bread without any fat and then just drizzle some olive oil in the baking dish before I pour everything in.

6 large vine-ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded, and cut into 1 1/1 inch pieces
1 small onion finely chopped, about 1/3 cup
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp sugar
4 slices of white loaf bread, crusts removed, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
7 TBSP unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Put tomato pieces, onion, salt, pepper and sugar in a bowl. Toss well.
Drizzle 4 TBSP butter on bread cubes. Toast them until they are golden, 8-12 minutes.
Add bread to tomatoes and toss well. Taste for seasoning and adjust.
Turn everything into a buttered 9-13" baking dish. Drizzle the remaining melted butter over. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes.

The cookbook also has a similar recipe that calls for using green tomatoes. It is just as good.

No comments: