Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Oatmeal

I eat oatmeal for breakfast about six days a week.
I often get irritated at excessive packaging.

I have been buying the store brand instant cinnamon and apples oatmeal. But, I don't really like to get it because my children eat about four packets of it at one meal and it has some unnecessary ingredients in it. So, when my sister and I were together I told her I wanted us to concoct a recipe for cinnamon and apples oatmeal. The first batch we threw together we ground in the blender. This made for very pasty (paste as in glue) oatmeal. The next batch, which we were happy with, we threw into a gallon size Ziploc and shook. This is the way to go. It couldn't be easier and you can just keep refilling the same baggie with the ingredients.

Of course there are infinite options with oatmeal. Here is the one we made.

alem's easy oatmeal

2 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
<1/4 tsp salt
2 tablespoons flax meal (or oat bran or wheat germ)
1/2 tablespoon sugar (though with subsequent batches I have left sugar out)
1/3 cup diced dried apples

Put all ingredients in a baggie. Shake.
Put desired amount in a bowl and pour just boiling water to cover.
Let stand 2 minutes.

No comments: